Tips to lose weight
- If you are serious about losing weight, you must be on a strict diet. To control your weight you must eat fruits and vegetables. Fruits and vegetables are low in calories and high in fiber, which is calorie-saving and will help you feel full throughout the day, which will reduce hunger cravings.
- Exercise is a must to control weight. Exercise will burn additional calories and help aid weight loss. If you are new to exercise, focus on performing body weight only exercises, such as push-ups, sit ups, lunges, squats and calf raises. If a gym or personal trainer are available options, surely use them. Your goal is to identify an exercise that you can perform in which you will SWEAT for at least 30 minutes per day, three times per week.
- Drink plenty of water. Water consumption will help you feel full. If you are full, you will not consume calories, which will help long-term weight management. This is also a good time to cut out sugary drinks including juices and sodas. As you know, the general recommendation is about eight glasses per day.
- Be smart when you cook
- Use pots and frying pans that are specially treated so that the food will not stick to them. Or instead of oils, use a cooking spray that is low in fat.
- Do not fry foods. Bake, broil, roast, or barbecue them instead.
- Take the fat you can see off of your meat. Take the skin off chicken.
- Try not to eat sauces, dressings, and gravy unless they are ‘low-fat’ or ‘fat-free.’
- Be smart when you eat
- Eat at the kitchen table and not in front of the TV.
- Keep the salt, butter and margarine off the table.
- Start your meal with a glass of water or a salad so that you will be less hungry and eat less.
- Eat only small to medium amounts of food at each meal.
- If you are hungry for more food after you finish your meal, have more vegetables, salad, or fruit.
6.Daily Calorie Needs
Refer to the chart given below to learn more about the daily calorie requirements according to different age groups.
|Age Groups||Daily Calorie Needs: Male||Daily Calorie Needs: Female|
|75 & above||2100||1810|
- Note: if you want to lose weight you need to consume only 1200-1500 cal per day for adult female and 1500-1800cal per day for adult male.
Some healthy food choices
This table provides examples of foods to choose
Fruits and Vegetables
|Steamed / low fat cooked vegetables and all fruits
Canned fruits packed in water
Baked or mashed potatoes
Green salads + low fat dressing
|Fried or battered vegetables
Pickles or pickled vegetables
Noodles, Cup of Soup
Canned fruits in syrup
Salads with mayonnaise (egg or tuna) and full fat dressings
Pasta + tomato sauce
Whole grain breads
Low-fat,low-sodium microwave popcorn
Pasta + cream sauce
Cheese or nut bread
Milk and Alternatives
|Skim or 1% milk
Low-fat frozen yogurt
Low-fat cheeses and spreads (4%, 7%, 15% MF)
|2% or 3.25% milk
Full fat cheese (35% MF), processed cheese, Cheese Whiz
Meats and Alternatives
|Lean cuts of meat
Poultry without skin
Cooked fresh ham and other meats
pork, lamb, goat
Fresh Fish / fishcanned in water
|Fatty or battered meats
Salted or smoked meats
Deli meats, cold cuts, black forest ham, corned beef, bologna
Fish canned in oil
|Sugar free Kool-Aid, Crystal Light
Sugar free gum
Low-fat granola bars, trail mix
Low-fat, low-sodium popcorn, salt-free pretzels
Potato chips, cheezies, salted nuts
Unfortunately, there is no easy road to weight loss, which is why so many diet plans and pills that promise a quick weight loss.
The best way to lose weight, however, is still through a healthy lifestyle: reducing calorie consumption and getting regular exercise. Weight loss should be slow and steady to give the best chance of losing the pounds permanently. Keeping a diet and exercise journal may help in losing the weight and in keeping motivated.